Sunday, May 22, 2011

Apocalypse? There's an App for That.

Last night, at about 8:30 I got a text from my Dad. This automatically made me uneasy, as I knew it was only 6:30 in the morning where they are. The text read, "Are y'all still there? Earthquakes?"

Now, given the earthquakes and other natural disasters in this part of the world lately, I automatically thought there'd been another one somewhere. I started to worry--we hadn't been watching TV last night, and our internet was down. "Uh...yeah," I replied, "You know more than me. Where?? Our Internet is down."

"Associated with the rapture. You didn't go?"

(I'd forgotten that one dude predicted the world would end on May 21st. See, I don't tend to get alarmed about these predictions, especially cause Jesus was all,"Look guys, no one knows the date but God! Don't listen to those schmucks!" This is obviously my loose translation.)

Then I really did laugh out loud. "Nope, def still here!" I said. Dad replied, "Guess that guy got it wrong again." "Yeah I guess so. Red-faced for sure!"

Jason and I were chuckling about it last night when he read me this brief article from Gizmodo: An iPhone App for the Post-Rapture Barter Economy. It's accompanied by a short video. It's an app called Barto, which allows users to upload descriptions of items, skills or services that they'd like to barter. Of course, it's a legit app, kind of a Craigslist alternative, and the whole apocalyptic spin is just from Gizmodo, I think. But we thought it was funny--somehow checking your iPhone for deals on pitchforks or canned goods doesn't seem to fit with the traditional post-apocalyptic genre.

But it's good to know that people are thinking ahead! Now what I wanna know: will there be iPhones in heaven? Cause if there ain't, I don't think I can convince Jason to come with me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Amy, did you hear about the athiest post-rapture pet care? For those Christians who will be leaving their pets behind. Smart thinkin, huh! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/

    "Our network of atheists are committed to step in when you step up to Jesus."

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete