1. Today was Australia Day. It's a public holiday.
I say: "Aussie Aussie Aussie!" You say: "Oi Oi Oi!" (But if you say the first part, do not say "aussie" with an "s" sound, please. It's "Auzzie", guys.)
2. Off to the beach we go, at 8:30am. We went here:
It's called Chinaman's Beach. Don't really know why.
3. Lament to Jason about the fact that when we go to the beach, we must bring one half of our house with us. Witness:
3 different changes of clothes
Drinks for Jason (The man has high "Pepsi Max" requirements)
Grace's teddy bear
4. People laugh at us as we stagger by laden with aforementioned half of house.
5. As the morning passes, hundreds of people arrive, festooned with Aussie flag tattoos, flag banners, radios, portable bbq's, and, one enterprising person: an inflatable kiddie pool filled with ice and beer.
6. Perhaps the highlight of everyone's day: I premiere my new swimsuit. I actually get in the water, which in Australia is rare for me. I usually find the Pacific way too cold. Today? It's perfect.
7. Due to #6, I spend the next hour noticing places I have not adequately shaved.
8. The kids swim, play, and shovel sand to their heart's content.
9. 3pm: We head home, pink from the sun (oops), sandy, and tired.
10. 5pm: Due to our new fitness regimen (I am doing air quotes around fitness here), Jason and I load up the kids and go to the nearby athletic fields to walk and let the kids kick the ball around a bit.
11. I attempt to jump rope. It has been approximately 15 years since I have jumped rope.
12. There is some jiggling. Note to self: Ace Bandage entire body before doing this again.
13. I jump 50 times. My face is now very red.
14. Then I die. In my will, I leave the jump rope to Ava, my West Wing dvd's to Jason, and my new Gap Long and Lean Jeans to Becky.
15. Dinner and Bedtime. Ava is swaying slightly and feels a little sick. I realize that she hasn't had much water lately.
16. Accept "Mother of the Year" award for dehydrating oldest child. Rethink wisdom of playing at athletic fields after a day at the beach.
17. Jason goes to see Avatar. I position myself in front of fan.
That about covers it. Oi Oi Oi!