1. Today started out hot as blazes again. You know it's not a good sign when you are already sweating at 7:30 in the morning. But then, around 11am a cool breeze began blowing. It was like a miracle. A miracle from heaven. (Why do people say that? Where else do miracles originate?) Within an hour, the temperature had dropped and the house was blessedly cool. Australia, just when I think I'm out, you pull me back in!
2. Nate's dollar shop toys continue to entertain. Best 5 bucks I ever spent.
3. His wounds still require sensitivity. This is a kid who will rip the bandages off the worst scrapes after 20 minutes, declaring them "all better". But will he let us take these little band aids off? Not a chance.
4. This evening on the way home from dinner, Jason and I were trying to distract Ava and Nate from some petty conflict they were having. "Let's have a contest!" I said. (Ava, you see, loves to win and is a sucker for any contest) "Let's see who can be sweetest to the other person." They were at a loss. I waited. I prompted. "Okay, why don't each of you tell what you like most about the other?" This went on for a few minutes, with some help from us, and then we arrived at the house. We all went in and I kind of forgot the whole thing. I was busy doing all the stuff around the house that you get busy with after dinner and before kid bedtime. An hour later, Ava walked over to Nate with a card she'd made him. She read it to him, it talked about how strong and smart he was. "Wow, Ava--that was really kind of you," I said, kind of surprised. She looked up at me with an intent expression. "So, who wins?"
5. Do your kids, or children of your acquaintance, ever say a word the wrong way, but it's so funny that you never bother to correct it? In fact, you go out of your way to get them to say it more? Years ago, we had some friends whose daughter used to say "ass cream" instead of "ice cream". We were in our pre-parental season and thought it was hilarious. So we'd always say, "Naomi, what's your favorite dessert?" "Hey, what's that man in the truck selling over there?" Naomi's parents loved us for that, I'm sure. And now we get to do it to our own kids. We had pizza for lunch today, and across the house, Nate's voice rang out. "I want more PECKERONI!!" You want what, Nate? Peckeroni! Wow, Nate! What's your favorite kind of pizza? Peckeroni! Are you sure? Are you sure cheese isn't your favorite? No, my favorite is Peck. Er. Roni!!!!
Are we evil? I figure he'll work it out eventually. And in the meantime, look. Sometimes in a long parenting-filled day you gotta inject a little humor for yourself. If it's at the expense of a four year old, well, so be it. He got another piece of peckeroni, after all. It ain't all bad.
And after dinner tonight, we polished it off with a nice cone of ass cream.
So those are the highlights.