Monday, June 22, 2009

Does this remind you of Alfred Hitchcock?

Wanna see some more Australian fauna? (Warning to my friend David, you may not like this.) The day after we came home from the hospital, as we were watching TV with the kids, we realized that we had some visitors on the front porch.


Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos are pretty common here in Sydney, and they often travel in groups. But we don't often get to see them this close-up. Perhaps they felt the radiating cuteness from our house and came to check it out. They are quite big birds, each one about the same size as a large parrot. Wiki says they're 18-22 inches (45-55cm) tall. Dang. That's bigger than our newborn. Jason is telling me that he thinks the wingspan is about 3 feet. He's a smart dude, so I'll take his word for it.

When we first moved here and I would see one, I always had the initial reaction that it must've escaped from a pet store somewhere. A girl just doesn't see these types of birds in Texas! They make this loud screeching sound, and combined with the kookaburras can create quite a ruckus in the early morning. One more reason I sleep with earplugs!

We see cockatoos feeding on the ground sometimes at parks and in people's front yards. When my parents visited after Nate was born, my Dad actually hand-fed some at the park.

So, there you have it. Sulphur-crested cockatoos. Pretty cool, huh? Did you learn something new? Well, that's what I'm here for, folks. And if you come visit, I promise not to feed you to a cockatoo or let them go all Alfred Hitchcock on you. (I was gonna post a pic of the movie, but it just freaks me out too much.)

Bye!

9 comments:

  1. They are so pretty! And I can't believe they're flyin' around like that!

    1) Can I hold one?
    2) Will it let me pet it?
    3) Can I have one to keep?
    4) Will customs let me bring it back to the US?
    5) Can they talk or be trained to talk?
    6) Is it okay if we let one fly around in your house while we're visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that impressed me when I fed these birds in the park was how very gentle and precise they were as they took the bread from my fingers. Their beaks look as if they could easily take off a finger if they tried. They would wait their turns, hop up on my knee and take the bread before flying away. They are every bit as magnificent as you might think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for not posting a picture from that movie.

    Stupid birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funny thing about this is I read it and scrolled down to the bottom to see if you would post a picture... clearly I'm looking for further distractions from studying Advanced Counseling Theories (like Freud could get any more advanced??) : P Loves you oodles and oodles! Congrats on your newest addition, she is lovely! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to Hamilton Island for part of our honeymoon and almost adopted some cockatoos, they were so friendly. I thought it would be a nice reminder of our honeymoon but the husband said no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way! That is so cool! And kookaburras, too! (I'll be singing that for the rest of the day "Laugh kookaburra, laugh kookaburra, gay your life must be!")

    Even the birds at your house are cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, tell your readers how many Australians have heard the song that Sara makes reference to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Radiating cuteness indeed! Grace is precious.

    Those birds are incredible. Hey, I have a squirrel who lives on my porch. Wanna trade?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where's the string that used to keep the birds off the rail?

    ReplyDelete