Friday, April 1, 2011

This doesn't get old.

Last night we went on a cruise of Sydney harbour with Jason's parents.


This was our ride. A tall ship built in 1922. The guy who captains it is a shipwright and restored it and runs tours with it. They serve a buffet dinner on board while you cruise around. Even though the weather was less than ideal, we had a lovely time.

I wanted to include a photo of the four of us, cause we asked one of our fellow passengers to take one with my phone. But the gentleman was a little bewildered by the whole process, plus the boat was a-rockin', and the picture turned out blurry. I didn't have the heart to ask him to take another.

I was a little nervous about the whole trip. Pregnancy, you see, has permanently altered my inner ear. Or something. And now, even as a non-preggo person, I get seasick pretty easily. Sometimes I can't even go on the swings at the park. When I was pregnant with Ava, Jason and I took a "last hurrah" vacay to St. Martin. We went snorkeling one day, and not only did I throw up over the side of the boat on the way out to the site, I felt queasy while floating on the water snorkelling. Who gets seasick from that? Me. I do. Last night, the weather was a little windy and rainy and when the boat docked for us to come aboard, she was rolling up and down. Eek.

Then I got more nervouser when we all had to crowd onto the front of the boat for the welcome talk. Up and down, up and down. Jason kept looking at me, to "check" on me. Spying him out of the corner of my eye, I said, "Stop it. Don't look at me and don't ask me if I'm okay. That makes it worse!" (I am so easy to live with.)

But I was fine! Once we got moving, it was very smooth. And I could let Jason look at me again. I could eat! I could enjoy the ride without looking for out-of-the-way places to be sick. Yay!

As we sailed along, Jason's mom (Jan) asked me if I ever get tired of the city. Nope. It's pretty spectacular. As cities go, I don't know of many that are prettier.


Here's a shot as we passed under the Harbour Bridge.

After this, we took Mike and Jan to the top of the Shangri-La Hotel. There's a bar on the 36th floor, with stunning, panoramic views of the city. Jason and I like to go there occasionally--we actually went last weekend with our neighbors-- and pretend that we always live this way; sitting in comfy chairs, looking out at the glittering city below. If you squint a little, and ignore the other patrons, you can pretend it's your penthouse apartment. (A few of you may wonder if pastors can even go to bars. Like, if you do, do you have to relinquish your membership card or something? It's okay, we cleared it with the Boss.)

(I just have to limit my tabletop dancing.)

(I'm kidding. I don't really have to limit it.)

(I'm kidding again! See how I did that? )

Ya know, sometimes when you've seen photos of a landmark all your life, you don't really expect it to be all that impressive in person. Sydney delivers, though. And for us, it never gets old. Now, if I could just transport everyone I love here, along with all my favorite discount shopping, life would be perfect.

10 comments:

  1. If this were Facebook I would 'like' it.... its not though so suffice to say it made me chuckle... as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are hoping to visit Australia in the next couple years. As I was researching, I found your blog while looking for a peace trip through Saddleback Church. Are there any bible colleges that you would recommend. My son wants to go into business or sports medicine and he's always been fascinated with Australia...I think because of the accents and surfing hahah.

    Thanks, Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I believe it doesn't get old! Glad y'all had a chance to take Jan and Mike to the ShangriLa.

    Did Jase get a haircut? And when does he ship off to Parris Island? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not puking is something to be celebrated. Always. I say bring on the tabletop dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My folks were *boaties*; I get seasick at the drop of a hat. Just the same, as an old Sydneysider, there are few prettier sights than Sydney harbour by moonlight under the stars from the deck of a boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh! You two are a couple of hotties!! Do you ever age??...must be that Aussie air... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I recall, there are a couple of other factors that limit your tabletop dancing -- like rhythm ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think most of us wouldn't mind being transported to Sydney (along w Ikea and Target of course;).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jana! Sorry for this late reply...Jason's parents go to Saddleback--small world! I have a few ideas, I'll see if I can find an email address for you. :)

    ReplyDelete