Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's the little things.

Seriously, can you believe I've actually been blogging everyday? This NaBloPoMo thing--I tell ya, it's been fun! But I'm surprised y'all keep coming back here everyday. Cause I feel like I'm just going, "Yup. Still hot here. Mmm-hmmm."

It's been a busy couple weeks in these here parts. School is wrapping up, we are getting ready to leave any day now for the States, meetings aboundeth, church life is busy, and I have been busy maintaining my stature as a completely together, organized domestic engineer. Except not really on that last one.

Do you find that it's the little things that can mess with your day? For me, it's often the small, piddly things that go wrong that you're too busy to actually fix but they still trip you up. Here is what is blockin' mah flow.

1. Socks. Yes. More specifically, Ava's school socks. I have about three pairs of identical green socks that she has to wear with her uniform everyday. I just keep them all in rotation, so that there is always a clean pair for her to wear. Ahem. Usually. But somehow, one pair got separated in the loads of laundry and it has totally thrown my sock schedule off. I mean, one load will have one clean sock in it, but its mate is still dirty in the hamper. So I am faced with a dilemma. A sock dilemma. Do I let her wear one clean and one dirty just to reunite the pair? Or do I pair the one clean with one from another pair and wash the one dirty? But then I still end up with the same problem.

So you see, I am trapped in a vicious sock cycle. And there is no way out. Or there totally is, but I always move on to something else and forget about it till, here we go again, Ava needs to leave in five minutes and where are her flippin' socks?

2. Pasta. I am locked in a pasta buying rut. Everytime I go to the store, I forget if we have any. And I always buy some. And then I come home and realize that, oh wait, we in fact have about eleventy hundred bags of the stuff. I got penne. I got spirals. I got angel hair. I got shells. I got orecchiette, whatever that even IS. Italy is calling and wants some of its pasta back, I have so much. Why, oh why, can't my brain retain this simple scrap of information? Can't I re-task some brain cells that are unfortunately occupied with retaining the lyrics to the Wiggles' Fruit Salad song?

Of course I could make a list! And I have. But even then, I get to the store and go, "Pasta isn't on this list. Did I forget to put it on there? Cause I think we might need some." This is all possibly due to a little known fact about me: I am a little bit dumb. Sometimes more than a little bit.

3. Ventilation maintenance. We've discussed my feelings about fans. I spend a significant portion of the day right now trying to decide if we should open the windows or not. Is it hotter inside or outside? Is there a breeze? If I open the windows, will it make it hotter inside? Cause when it does, then I spend the rest of the day mumbling, "Shouldn't have opened the windows. Shouldn't have opened the windows." Like that little "Time to make the donuts" man from the old Dunkin Donuts commercials.


You now see how busy and complicated my life is. What pressing issues I have to deal with! It's no wonder I need to write everyday.

3 comments:

  1. Socks are the bane of my existence. And it shouldn't be so hard, because Laura doesn't have a uniform. But every night I'm scrabbling around in the laundry room. Hate socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at your pasta buying habits. For me , it's mayonnaise. I can never remember if I need it, so I just buy more. I often have 4-5 jars in the cabinet. I totally feel for your ventilation challenges, too. Keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, same thing again. I go away for a few days and I have to play catch up ;). LOVE your bit on pasta. I chuckled out loud. The funniest part is that I can hear you saying things like, "I 'think' we might need some." Too cute!

    Are you guys coming to Dallas during your visit? If so, we'd love to (rather, we must) see you!

    ReplyDelete